I am going to try and provide a tutorial series for programming with Maratis 3D. I have no current schedule, so without feedback, I will create guides on interesting/complex problems I encounter when developing with Maratis. Feel free to leave any feedback and I will try to create tutorials to match.
- Stage 1 – Getting comfortable
- Tutorial 1 – Introduction
- Tutorial 2 – Basic Plugin
- Tutorial 3 – Adding some plugin functionality
- Tutorial 4 – Version control
- Tutorial 5 – Game framework 1 – Timers
- Tutorial 6 – Game framework 2 – Messaging
- Tutorial 7 – Game framework 3 – Input
- Tutorial 8 – Game framework 4 – Interaction
- Tutorial 9 – Game framework 5 – Tidying up
- Tutorial 10 – Overview and planning
- Stage 2 – FPS – Four Pregnant Squirrels (to be honest, I’ve never seen one pregnant squirrel…)
- Tutorial 11 – Revisiting our controller
- Tutorial 12 – Give me a place to stand
- Tutorial 13 – Guns, guns, guns
- Tutorial 14 – Pew pew. Bullets
- Tutorial 15 – Decals
- Tutorial 16 – Animations
- Tutorial 17 – Enemies are stupid
- Tutorial 18 – Particles everywhere
- Tutorial 19 – Fun in the shade(r)
- Tutorial 20 – How gooey is a game?
- Stage 3 – Vehicles, Brum brum
- Tutorial 21 – ?
I will try to go into as much detail as I can, but I am probably going to forget things from time to time. I won’t be insulted if someone mentions it in comments, I might even credit you when I update the tutorial 😉
When each stage is written and completed to a level I’m happy with, I’ll try and cover the same things in a couple of screencasts, to give a better idea of how things work. When it comes to these, I won’t focus too heavily on every line of code and will probably shoot through a lot, although I’ll try to avoid the Blue-Peter-esque “Here is one I made earlier” thing. Any code I write, I am sure I will upload somewhere for everyone to see and pull apart.
I’ve created a github account for the tutorial, so you can watch as things progress. Take a look at it here.
If there is anything at all which you want to be added into this tutorial series, give a shout and I will work on it. The best place to get in contact with me is over at the Maratis Forums.